No. 119. Rangoon. Mission House at Kemindine.
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by Linnaeus Tripe, from a portfolio of 120 prints, with a general view of a two-storey verandahed house, with a roof of thatch at the Kemmendine (Kyimyintaing) area of Rangoon (Yangon) in Burma (Myanmar). In 1855 a British mission was sent to King Mindon Min of Burma to negotiate a settlement regarding Pegu, annexed by the British after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852. Linnaeus Tripe was the official photographer on this mission and his architectural and topographical views of the country form an important record. According to Tripe, this photograph showed, 'The style of dwelling adopted by Europeans in Burmah'. The construction of modern Rangoon was the work of years. After the taking of the town in 1852 the Europeans distributed themselves among the more substantial
buildings. Much of the old town had been destroyed but Rangoon now became the administrative centre of southern Burma which was under British control. The new rulers designed a new city on completely new lines. Kemmendine was a village to the north of Rangoon which had been an important stockade for the Burmese during the First Anglo-Burmese was in 1824. It was subsequently taken over by the British and in 1855 was laid out to the grid plan by which Rangoon was being rebuilt from scratch. It had previously consisted of one long, narrow street with low-eaved bamboo huts. Kemmendine was where the American Baptist Mission was based.