Photograph of Nainital after the landslip of 1880 from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of views of 'Naini Tal' taken by an unknown photographer in 1883. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house there. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. This view looks across the lake towards the hillside where a landslip took place in September 1880, burying 151 people. The Naina Devi Temple was also destroyed in the disaster. The new Assembly Rooms are in the foreground of this view. A recreation ground known as 'The Flats' was later built on the site and a new temple was also erected.