Naini Tal, Showing extra boat houses, 1899
Photographer: Lawrie and Company, G.W.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the boats on the Nainital lake from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of views of 'Naini Tal' taken by Lawrie & Company in 1899. Nainital takes its name from the sacred lake at its centre. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house there. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. This view shows boat houses by the lakeside and, on the left, the New Assembly Rooms and the recreation grounds known as 'The Flats', which were both rebuilt after the landslide disater of 1880.