Photograph of the Nandod at Dabhoi in Gujarat, taken by James Burgess in 1874. Dabhoi is an ancient town that was fortified by the Solanki Rajputs from the 12th century. The fort was built in the 13th century by the Vaghela king of Patan, or Anhilvada, following the shastric traditions described in the Vastu scriptures and is an example of the Rajput military style. There are four gates in each cardinal direction. The Nandod Gate to the south is 8.8 metres high and over 4.8 metres wide. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "Original portions... of the four [gates] still remain,- they have only been repaired or partially rebuilt, and Muhammadan arches substituted for the old Rajput mode of spanning the aperture by corbelling inwards by means of a series of carved brackets supporting long stone lintels above...the brackets, lintels, and upper portions of the side walls have all been elaborately carved with mythological figures and architectural ornament; and over the top of the inner facade of the Nandod gate, on the south, there are remains of a line of statues. Most of the larger figures on all the gates, however, have been damaged by the Muhammadans."