New and old palaces at Makarpura in distance [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the new and old palaces at Makarpura, near Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. Situated to the south of Baroda, the palaces were built by the Gaekwad Maharajas as country residences. The old palace was originally built by Khande Rao (ruled 1856-1870). The retreat was enlarged and improved when the new palace, at right, was built by the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939) between 1883-1890. It was designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm (1840-1915) in an Italian Renaissance style. The palaces are surrounded by English-style formal gardens containing pergolas, fountains, and grottoes, shown in the foreground in this view.