Nawal Burj, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Nawal Burj at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Bharatpur became the capital of Bharatpur State in 1733 when the Jat Maharaja Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) captured it fort from a rival Jat chief. The Lohagarh or Iron Fort, a citadel that stands in the north-west corner of the walled city, was built in 1733 by Suraj Mal on the site of the earlier, smaller mud fort. It originally had massive double ramparts surrounded by a deep, wide moat. The Nawal Burj is one of the bastions reinforcing the ramparts. This view shows the mud and rubble crenellated walls with the bastion projecting at left, earth ramparts within, and the moat in the foreground.