Nand Bhawan, Deeg 4302730
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Nand Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Nand Bhavan is one of four beautiful main pavilions in the splendid 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions stand on each side of a square formal garden designed in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. The garden is divided into four parterres by water channels filled with fountains running from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The Nand Bhavan (c.1760) is built of yellow sandstone and lies on the northern edge of the garden. It is a single-storeyed, long, rectangular building raised on a terrace with a central hall. This view of the side elevation is taken from the garden and shows the deep projecting double eaves or chajjas supported by carved brackets.