Nand Bhawan, Deeg 4302731
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Nand Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Nand Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions stand on each side of a square formal garden designed in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. The garden is divided into four parterres by water channels filled with fountains running from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The Nand Bhavan (c.1760) is built of yellow sandstone and lies on the northern edge of the garden. It is a single-storeyed, long, rectangular building raised on a terrace with a central hall. This view of the façade shows an arcade of seven arches beneath deep projecting double eaves or chajjas supported by carved brackets.