Nagar-Khana and Ayna Mahel [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the Nagarkhana and the Ayana Mahal, at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. They date from the mid to late 19th century, when Junagadh was developed and improved with the construction of a series of new palaces, public buildings and parks, notably during the reign of Nawab Mahabat Khan II (ruled 1851-1882). In this view the Nagar-Khana, a ceremonial arched gateway, is at left, and adjoins the Ayana Mahal or Palace of Mirrors, part of the Nawab’s palace, which is shown from the south.