North façade of Shah Alam's Tomb, Ahmadabad
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the north façade of Shah Alam's Tomb at Ahmadabad in Gujarat taken by order of Major Cole, by an Army sergeant in c. 1881, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Shah Alam's tomb was built in 1485 by Taj Khan Nariali, a noble in the court of Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511). The tomb, or dargah, is one of a complex of buildings, including a mosque and the Jamaat Khana, or Audience Hall, situated two miles outside the city. Shah Alam was the son of the Muslim saint Qutb-ul Alam who is buried at Batura, a further four miles south of the city. Shah Alam's tomb stands on a low platform with three concentric pillared halls; the outer hall is enclosed by stone trellis work. The inner enclosure is covered in a dome supported by 12 pillars, with the tomb itself in the centre. There is an entrance on each of the four sides, but the main entrance is a porch with coupled pillars on the west side. This is a view of the trellis work on the north facade of the tomb.