Nandi pavilion and pillared verandah, Kailasanatha Temple, Tiruchengodu
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nandi pavilion and pillared verandah of the Kailasanatha Temple at Tiruchengodu, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. The town of Tiruchengodu is situated at the foot of Nagagiri ('Serpent Hill'). The Kailasanatha Temple was begun in the Chola period but most of its architecture belongs to the Vijayanagar period. The entrance gopura, or gateway, was built in 1664. The pillars of the mandapa or hall are carved in the shape of rearing yalis, mythical beasts. There is a stepped well at the entrance in the form of a Nandi, or sacred bull; the passage to the well passes between the animal's forelegs down to the water.