Old Court House Street looking north [Calcutta]
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Old Court House Street from 'Views of Calcutta and Barrakpore' was taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. Old Court House Street is located on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square. In this view, St. Andrew's Church is visible on the north corner of Old Court House Street and Lal Bazar Street.
By the 1860s, commercial photography was becoming well-established in India and
this growing market attracted the young Nottingham photographer Samuel Bourne to the subcontinent in 1863. During a residence of seven years, Bourne produced thousands of landscape and architectural views, but his fame and the success of his studio, rests primarily on the results of three arduous photographic expeditions to Kashmir and the Himalayas.