Old Palace in Bharatpur Fort 3722
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Badan Singh’s Palace in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. There are three palaces within the fort, a citadel built at the north-west corner of the walled city of
Bharatpur by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). Badan Singh’s Palace, also known as the Old Palace, stands at the highest point and was built in c.1733 by Suraj Mal’s father, who ruled between 1722 and 1733. It is rectangular in plan
with two inner courtyards or chowks, and is an example of the Rajput garh palace, a fortified palace contained within a further fortress. This general view looking up towards the high walls of the palace exterior shows the octagonal corner towers and balconies with curved bangaldar roofs at the upper level, supported on brackets with a double cornice or chajja above. Bharatpur was captured by Suraj Mal from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and became the new capital of the recently-formed Jat state, recognised by Delhi in 1722 when Badan Singh was proclaimed Raja of Dig.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.