Old Palace, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the inner gate of Badan Singh’s Palace at Dig in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The palace is the oldest and largest palace in the complex at Dig, the 18th-century residence of the Jats of Bharatpur. Also known as the Purana Mahal, it was built from 1722 onwards by Badan Singh (r.1722-33), who began the development of Dig as the Jat capital. It lies at the southern edge of the main formal garden and the Rup Sagar, one of two reservoirs. This view of the inner gate shows an arcaded portico with a central cusped arch below a projecting balcony, crowned by a characteristic bangaldar or curved roof. The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.