Obelisk on the right (as you enter) of Khylaus Cave. The view is taken from within the area of Kailaus Cave and near the basement of the great temple [Kailasanatha Cave Temple, Cave XVI, Ellora]
Photographer: Johnston, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a column in the Kailasanatha Cave Temple, Cave XVI at Ellora, taken by J. Johnston around 1874. The Kailasanatha temple is the most noted of all the splendours of Ellora. It is entirely sculpted out of a great mass of basalt. Patronized by different rulers of the Rashtrakuta dynasty from the mid-8th century, it symbolizes Mount Kailasa, abode of Shiva. A tall screen with an entrance gateway obscures the exterior of the temple. Sculptures of river goddesses flank the entrance to the three sections of the temple (a Nandi shrine, a mandapa, and the main sanctuary). The principal shrine is topped by a shikara, or pyramidal tower. Sculptural friezes in the temple depict tales from the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, and the life of Shiva. Two monolithic columns, 17 m high and decorated with relief carvings, are situated on the side of the main temple. The column in this view is situated on the right of the main temple.