Old guns [including the Lilam Top, in the Uparkot, Junagadh]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nilam Tope next to another cannon in the Uparkot in Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Photographs of Junagadh'. The Uparkot is an ancient citadel in north-east Junagadh dating from the Maurya empire in the fourth century BC. It was rediscovered and renovated by Muslim conquerors in 976 AD and subsequently underwent many sieges. On the western wall are two colossal guns. The larger of the two, the Nilam Tope or cannon, is shown at left in this view. It is over 5.2 m (17 ft) long, with a bore of 25cm (9 1/2 ins). It was cast in Egypt in 1531 and was brought to India by Admiral Sulaiman Pasha when the Turkish fleet participated in the siege against the Portuguese at Diu Fort on the coast of southern Gujarat in 1538. It was later brought to the Uparkot by a Fouzdar of Junagadh.