Old mosque in the old fortress [Junagadh]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid mosque in the Uparkot at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Photographs of Junagadh'. The Uparkot or Upper Fort is an ancient citadel in north-east Junagadh dating from the Maurya empire in the fourth century BC. It was rediscovered and renovated by Muslim conquerors in 976 AD and subsequently underwent many sieges. It is entered by three gateways cut into solid rock. Within are the mosque, the tomb of Nuri Shah, step-wells dating from the 15th and 11th century, and rock-cut Buddhist and Jain caves dating from the 2nd century AD. This is a view of the Jami Masjid, which stands at the summit of the fort. It was begun by Mahmud Bigarah (c.1458-1511) but was probably never finished. It was built from the remains of a former Hindu temple and its plain exterior hides a more interesting interior containing 140 columns.