Old Vaishnava Temples at Eklinga
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Eklingji temples from James Burgess' 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' taken by Colin Murray in c.1872. Eklingji, northeast of Udaipur, is a complex of 108 temples and shrines dedicated to Lord Shiva. Burgess writes of a number of ruined temples on the western shore of the Bagela Talao at Aklingji, ''...but the finest is a group of Vaishnava temples, known as Sasbahu, on a raised platform. On the east side, facing the lake, there has been a handsome approach, still indicated by four massive pillars. Fronting these is a pretty large temple, of the genuine Northern Chalukya style, with very massive columns and heavy torans. The porch...and the lattice stone windows on each side of the mandapa, are carved in a very elaborate and striking style of art...''