Photograph of the old ruined gate of the fort at Bihar Sharif in Bihar, taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s. The List of Ancient Monuments in Bengal (1896) pp. 256-257 describes the fort: "The wall appears to have been 18 feet thick and 30 feet high, and the base of the rampart is 60 feet wide. The diameter is considerable, as the circumference is 8,500 feet. The distance from the north to the south gate is 2,800 feet, and from the east to the west gate 2,100 feet. The ground on which the fort stands is a natural plateau raised considerably above the level of the surrounding country and covers 312 acres. The shape of the fort is an irregular square, and its sides were composed of large masses of stone quarried from the neighbouring rock...There were many circular bastions, but the north gate was flanked by towers. There are many mounds of large buildings of brick in the centre of the fort, and from the profusion of the ruined Buddhist and Brahmanical buildings the site is judged to be very old."