Octagonal minaret on Itimad-ud-Daulah's Tomb, Agra
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an octagonal minaret on Itimad-ud-Daulah’s tomb, Agra, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken during the 1880s. The mausoleum was built between 1622-28 on the east bank of the River Jumna by the empress Nur Jahan and contains the grave of her father, Mirza Ghiyath Beg, a chief minister to Emperor Jahangir (r.1605-27), and his wife. The mausoleum is a low square building with four engaged minarets, one at each corner framing a central roof pavilion. This close view of one of the minarets shows its domed pavilion, white marble facing, and inlaid pietra dura work in floral and geometric patterns. These cover the entire building and the mausoleum is notable as the first example in Mughal architecture of a building faced entirely in white marble and of the extensive use of the pietra dura technique.