Overflow of the Pichola Lake at north end, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Lake Pichola from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Lake Pichola, located on the western edge of Udaipur, is an artificial lake created in the fourteenth century. Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-1572) added the embankment along eastern edge of the lake. Lake Pichola is the location for the Jag Niwas and Jag Mandir floating palaces. This view shows the overflow of the lake at its north end.