Old Gaya from the outskirts looking west. Brahmajuni hill & temple in the distance
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Old Gaya taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870.
The town of Gaya is situated on the bank of the Falgu river with the Rajgir Hills beyond. It is closely associated with Buddhism for its close vicinity to Bodhgaya but since the 10th century it has also been an important Hindu religious centre. The extant buildings date not earlier than the 18th century but there are also some remains of sculptures from the 9th-10th century Pala period.