Officer's bungalow, Barrackpore
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Officers Bungalow, Barakpur Park, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Barrackpore, 24 km to the north of Calcutta on the river Hooghly, was originally permanent barracks for the British army and later became the summer residence of the British Governor Generals. Marquess Wellesley was British Governor-General in Calcutta from 1797 to 1805, and made many improvements to Barrackpore. He had the gardens of Barrackpore Park laid out in the 'English Style' and the extensive grounds contained a theatre, an aviary and a menagerie. The Park then became a popular place for leisure pursuits. Bungalows were built in the park initially as sleeping quarters for the Governor-General's staff, as Barrackpore House could not contain enough south-facing bedrooms to enable them to catch the southern cooling breeze.This is a view of a bungalow at Barrackpore with a central curved colonnade along the front. Uniformed sepoys and a European are posed in the foreground.