Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of Ootacamund from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1860. Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town itself is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). The houses are typically English and are approached by narrow lanes which are bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. It rapidly became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids.