Old Govt House, N. Tal, pulled down by Sir A.P. Macdonnell
Photographer: Lawrie and Company, G.W.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Old Government House at Nainital from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of views of 'Naini Tal' taken by Lawrie & Company in 1895. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. This is a view of the Old Government House, which was pulled down by Sir A.P. Macdonnell.