Old temples behind the Chaumukh [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of old temples behind the Chaumukh temple at Satrunjaya, taken by Sykes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Pundarika, the main disciple of the first Jain Tirthankara Adinatha, obtained enlightenment. On the two summits of the hill, which rise 600 m above the plain around the town of Palitana, there are many hundreds of multi-spired temples where every day pilgrims come to pay reverence to the different Jain saints. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The Chaumukh Temple, rebuilt in 1618, is situated on the northern ridge of the hill.