Old Palace in Bharatpur Fort 4302149
Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Badan Singh’s Palace in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by Raja Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. There are three palaces within the fort, a citadel built at the north-west corner of the walled city of Bharatpur by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). Badan Singh’s Palace, also known as the Old Palace, stands at the highest point and was built in c.1733 by Suraj Mal’s father, who ruled between 1722 and 1733. It is rectangular in plan with two inner courtyards or chowks, and is an example of the Rajput garh palace, a fortified palace contained within a further fortress. This general view looking up towards the high walls of the palace exterior shows the octagonal corner towers and balconies with curved bangaldar roofs at the upper level, supported on brackets with a double cornice or chajja above. The palace was built when Bharatpur was captured by Suraj Mal from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and became the new capital of the recently-formed Jat state, recognised by Delhi in 1722 when Badan Singh was proclaimed Raja of Dig.