Old Palace, Hathian pole, [Kota]
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Vist of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the old City Palace at Kota, Rajasthan, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in November 1902. Construction of the palace was begun in c.1625 by Madho Singh (ruled 1625-48), and continued onwards until the early 20th century. It is contained within a fort dating from the 13th century, situated on the east bank of the Chambal river. The view shown is of the east front, with the Hathian pole or Elephant Gate at left. This was the main entrance gate to the palace. It has a pointed arch and is decorated with a pair of sculpted elephants. The upper stories consist of colonnaded pavilions, including the Arjun Mahal to the right of the gate.