Old Palace, Hathian pole and Bara Mahal, [Kota]
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Vist of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the old City Palace at Kota, Rajasthan, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in November 1902. Construction of the palace was begun in c.1625 by Madho Singh (ruled 1625-48), and continued onwards until the early 20th century. The palace is contained within a fort dating from the 13th century, situated on the east bank of the Chambal river. The view shown is of the east front, with the Hathian pole or Elephant Gate at left. This is the main entrance gate to the palace. It has a pointed arch and is decorated with a pair of sculpted elephants. The upper stories of the palace consist of domed and colonnaded pavilions. The Bara Mahal or Dari is a marble pavilion projecting from the main line of the building front in the centre of the image.