Outer wall on the west side of the Jami Masjid, Ahmadabad
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken in c. 1881, for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Jami Masjid, situated in the centre of the city, was built by Sultan Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42), completed in 1424. The building was once known for its tall 'shaking minarets' which were destroyed in an earthquake in 1819. The large courtyard is surrounded by an arcaded cloister; the interior is supported by 260 columns and divided into 15 bays, each covered in a dome. This view shows the outer wall on the west side of the mosque.