Outer court wall and corridor of the Jami Masjid, Delhi [sic for Ahmadabad]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph, possibly a rear view of the Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, showing the outer court wall and corridor, taken in c. 1881, for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad, situated in the centre of the city, was built by Sultan Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42) and completed in 1424. The building was once known for its tall 'shaking minarets' which were destroyed in an earthquake in 1819. The prayer hall is preceded by a large courtyard which is entered on the north side.