Open mandapa of the Venkataramana Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the open mandapa of the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, Andhra Pradesh, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This complex was built during the Vijayanagara period in the mid-16th century. It is entered through a tall gopura in the middle of the east side of a rectangular colonnade. The main shrine, dedicated to Vishnu, is preceded by a closed mandapa with two porches. The outer walls of the main temple and the enclosed mandapa are decorated with sculptures set between pilasters, representing episodes from the Krishna and Ramayana legends. To the east there is an open mandapa with columns carved as rearing mythical animals with riders and female devotees carved in the round.