[Asht Dhati or Eight Metals Gate,] North Entrance of the Bharatpore Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Asht Dhati or Eight Metals Gate at Bharatpur Fort in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The gate is the north entrance of the fort and was so called because its doors were made of an alloy of eight
metals. The fort was built by the Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) on the site of an older fort when he captured Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733. Known as the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, it proved to be an almost impregnable citadel. It is sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by eight bastions, surrounded by a wide moat. This view of the gate shows a bridge over the moat leading to an imposing portal set between bastions. Paintings of charging war elephants can be faintly seen on the stone façade at either side of the central pointed archway.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.