[Façade of The Milkmaid's Cave (Cave XXVII), Ellora.]
Photographer: Johnston, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Milkmaid's Cave (Cave XXVII) at Ellora in Maharashtra, from the right, taken by J. Johnston around 1874. The spectacular site of Ellora is renowned for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the face of a basalt cliff. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and 9th centuries. In the 'Report on the Elura Cave Temples' of 1883, James Burgess wrote, "The next is a large cave, No. XXVII, known as the Milkmaid's cave...The plan has been supported by six plain octagonal pillars with bracket capitals, but all of them have fallen away except one at the left end and a fragment of one at the right end. The verandah is about 69 feet long by 8 feet 4 inches wide, with several sculptures on the back wall and in the ends. In the walls of the hall three cells are rudely excavated. The carvings are mostly Vaishnava in character...".