[Left wing of the Indra Sabha Jain Cave Temple (Cave XXXII), Ellora.]
Photographer: Johnston, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the left wing of Cave XXXII (Indra Sabha) at Ellora in Maharashtra, taken by J.Johnston in c.1874. The spectacular site of Ellora has a group of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the face of a basalt cliff. Indra Sabha is the largest of the Jain series carried out under Rashtrakuta patronage in the 9th century. A simple gateway leads to a courtyard which contains a monolithic shrine with a pyramidal roof. The lower level is an unfinished hall while the columns of the upper level are elaborately carved with foliage and garland motifs. The exterior of the cave is adorned with lion and elephants friezes and figures of Jain Tirthankharas.