[General view from the left of the façade of the Indra Sabha Jain Cave Temple (Cave XXXII), Ellora, before the pillar fell.]
Photographer: Johnston, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of Cave XXXII (Indra Sabha) at Ellora in Maharashtra, taken by J. Johnston in 1874. Indra Sabha was excavated under Rashtrakuta patronage in the 9th century. It is the largest of the Jain series of caves at Ellora. A simple gateway leads to a courtyard in which contains a monolithic shrine with a pyramidal roof. The interior of this double storey cave has a columned mandapa or hall. The view looks towards the entrance gateway, with an European figure standing in front and the temple and the column in the enclosure beyond. It is reproduced in collotype in James Burgess, 'Archaeological Survey of Western India. Report on the Elura Cave Temples and Brahmanical and Jaina Caves in Western India...1877-78, 1878-79, 1879-80' (vol 5, London, 1883), pl.6: 'The accompanying autotype plate vi is a view taken in 1874, before the monolithic column in the west side of the court fell over, and shows the gateway, the mandapa in the court and the pillar, with portions of the façade behind them.'