[General view of façade of Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Vishkakarma Cave (Cave X), Ellora.]
Photographer: Johnston, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Vishkakarma Cave (Cave X) at Ellora, taken by J.Johnston around 1874. The spectacular site of Ellora is renowned for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a cliff of basalt. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and 9th centuries. The cave known as Vishvakarma (named after the architect to the gods) dates to the 7th century and is one of the latest rock-cut Buddhist Chaityas in Western India. This Chaitya is an imitation of a wooden construction; the celing has stone cross-beams that resmble wood. On the façade there are two beams cut out of stone that resemble the ends of wooden beams. The elaborate façade is situated at the end of large open court. A pillared verandah admits into a long hall in the interior with an open gallery above. Three doors at the back of the verandah lead to the hall inside and the upper gallery is approached by steps on the left side of the verandah.