[A corner of Nawab Isa Khan's tomb], Tatta 17111
Photographer: Houghton, William Robert (1826-1897)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a corner of Nawab Isa Khan’s tomb at Tatta in Sindh, taken by William Robert Houghton in 1858. This image is part of an album documenting notable tombs at the necropolis at Tatta, which Houghton photographed at the request of the Government of Bombay.
Nawab Isa Khan Tarkhan II (died c.1644) was a governor of Sindh, appointed by Emperor Jahanghir following the annexation of the state by the Mughals in 1591. His mausoleum is built of buff-coloured stone carved with elaborate and exquisite tracery and stands in the centre of a square courtyard surrounded by a high stone wall. This view shows the façade, with a triple-arched portico set between a two-tiered pillared verandah.The tomb is part of a great necropolis, reputedly the largest in the world, which lies on the plateau of the Makli hills, a limestone outcrop to the west of Tatta. The necropolis contains over a million graves, including the mausoleums of Sindh’s rulers. The Nawab's mausoleum is the most imposing structure on the hill and is designed in the tradition of Islamic funerary architecture.