'There is no god but God and Mahomet is His Prophet' - prayers in mosque, Ahmedabad, India
Photographer: Ricalton, James
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of Muslims at prayer in the courtyard of the mosque at Ahmadabad, taken by James Ricalton in c. 1903, from The Underwood Travel Library: Stereoscopic Views of India. The Jami Masjid, situated in the centre of the city, was completed in 1424 and built by Sultan Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42). The large courtyard is surrounded by an arcaded cloister seen in the background of this view. This is one of a series of 100 photographs designed to be viewed through a special binocular viewer, producing a 3D effect. The photographs were sold together with a book of descriptions and a map with precise locations to enable the 'traveller' to imagine that he was really 'touring' around India. Stereoscopic cameras, those with two lenses and the ability to take two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th century and revolutionised photography. They cut down exposure time and thus allowed for some movement in the image without blurring as subjects were not required to sit for long periods to produce sharp results.