[Distant view of the] New Palace and garden at [Lashkar] Gwalior
Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a distant view of the Jai Vilas or Victory Palace at Lashkar near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Lala Deen Dayal in the 1870s. The Jai Vilas Palace was built by Maharaja Jayaji Rao Sindhia (ruled 1843-1886) to celebrate a visit by the Prince of Wales in 1876. It was designed by Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Michael Filose in a classically-inspired style incorporating Doric, Tuscan, Corinthian and Palladian elements and constructed in sandstone painted a brilliant white. It is one of the grandest of India’s palaces inspired by European architectural styles. The Scindias were one of the five powerful Maratha dynasties and established themselves as the rulers of Gwalior when they took possession of the famous hillfort of Gwalior in the mid-18th century. Lashkar lies three kilometres (two miles) south of the fort and was founded by Daulat Rao Scindia in 1810 as a military camp or lashkar, later becoming a town. This view shows the palace in the distance to the right with landscaped grounds in front of it and fields in the foreground. The photograph is from an album containing topographical and architectural views in central India taken by Lala Deen Dayal (1844-1905). The majority of prints are signed and represent some of his earliest work.