[View of the Palace courtyard, Junagadh.]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace courtyard at Junagadh in Gujarat, taken by F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
Junagadh has a rich architectural heritage, its most ancient sites being Buddhist and Jain caves in the environs of the Uparkot, a citadel dating from the 4th century BC. More recent monuments include the fantastical mausoleums of the state’s Muslim rulers, the Babi Dynasty, and civic and royal buildings dating from the 18th to the early 20th centuries which mix European Gothic and local Indo-Islamic styles. Junagadh was particularly developed and improved during the reign of the Nawab Mahabat Khan II (r.1851-1882), who constructed a series of new palaces, public buildings and parks. This view shows the courtyard in front of the principal Palace (c.1870), with a corner of the Durbar Hall in the left foreground.