[Entrance to] the Old Fortress [Uparkot]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the Uparkot, the citadel of Junagadh, taken by F. Nelson in the 1890s from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Photographs of Junagadh'. Junagadh was the capital of Gujarat under the Kshatrapa rulers between the second and the fourth centuries. The old citadel, the Uparkot, is situated to the north-east of the town. It was a stronghold of the Maurya and Gupta dynasties. It is entered through three massive gateways cut into the solid rock. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "The Uparkot or upper fort of Junagadh...seems to have been the citadel of the old city, where the lieutenants of the great Asoka, and still later, of the Gupta kings lived."