[Distant view of the port of Veraval.]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the port of Veraval, Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
This oval print shows a distant view across the sea looking towards the harbour and skyline of the town, with the lighthouse at the extreme left. Veraval is situated on the Saurashtran coast 83 km (51 ½ miles) south-west of Junagadh and was one of the state’s principal ports. Despite having no natural harbour and poor anchorage, it had historically been an important trading centre and was used as a departure point for pilgrims travelling to Mecca under the rule of the Sultans of Gujarat. From 1866 it was developed and improved by the Junagadh Durbar for use as a lighterage port, with the construction of a protective seawall and a lighthouse.