[The lighthouse at Veraval.]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the lighthouse at Veraval, Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
Veraval is situated on the Saurashtran coast 83 km (51 ½ miles) south-west of Junagadh and was one of the state’s principal ports. Despite having no natural harbour and poor anchorage, it had historically been an important trading centre and was used as a departure point for pilgrims travelling to Mecca under the rule of the Sultans of Gujarat. From 1866 it was developed and improved by the Junagadh Durbar for use as a lighterage port, with the construction of a protective seawall and a lighthouse. The lighthouse was built in 1876 on the west side of the harbour by the Nawab of Junagadh. It was a white masonry tower 17 metres (56 feet) high and cast a white beam visible out to sea for 21 kilometres (thirteen miles).