An albumen print by Richard Banner Oakeley of a Nandi pavilion at Halebid in Karnataka. Halebid (ancient Dwarasamudra), a small town in the Hassan district, was once the capital of the Hoysala dynasty of the southern Deccan which flourished from about 1100-1350 AD. Invasions by the Delhi Sultanate in the 14th century led to its decline. The Hoysalas were avid temple builders and the site is renowned for the remnants of architecture and sculpture fashioned out of the chloritic schist in the region. The most famous monument here is the twelfth-century Hoysaleswara temple dedicated to Shiva, which was built for an official of Vishnuvardhana (reigned 1108-42). Nandi, the great bull which is Shiva's vehicle, is an essential part of a Shaiva temple. The double-shrine of Hoysaleswara has two sanctuaries, attached to each is a large columned mandapa. In front of each mandapa is a detached pavilion for a Nandi image. Oakeley wrote of this view, 'Another view of the same temple, taken from the southern door of the Great Temple. In this view, the Head of the Bull may be seen between the columns'.