[View of bullock carts in a Jaipur street.]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of bullock carts in a street at Jaipur in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer in 1896, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896'. The Earl of Elgin and Kindardine was Viceroy between 1894 and 1899. The carts are lined up on one of Jaipur’s wide streets with the drivers seated on top of their load of sacks facing the camera. In the background can be seen the screened balconies of Jaipur havelis or courtyard houses. Jaipur was founded in 1727 as an entirely new and prestigious state capital by Maharaja Jai Singh II (r.1699-1743) of the Kachwaha Rajputs. The city was built on the site of a royal hunting lodge and garden on a plain five miles south of Amber, the previous state capital. It is unusual among Rajput cities as its wide streets are laid out on a geometric grid plan.