[View of the Rock at] Trichinopoly [from the tank].
Photographer: Wiele and Klein
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Rock at Tiruchirapalli probably taken by Wiele & Klein in the 1900s. The photograph is part of an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
Tiruchirapalli is situated on the River Kaveri in Tamil Nadu. The town has been a stronghold of various ruling dynasties-Pallavas, Cholas, Nayakas and later occupied by the British. The town is dominated by the Rock Fort, a massive sand-coloured rock which towers to a height of over 80 metres. The Pallavas were the first to exploit the rock, building temples in it side but it was the Nayaks of Madurai who realised the sites’ potential as a fort, adding only a few walls and bastions as fortifications in the 17th century. They firmly established Tiruchirapalli as an important trading city.