[Government House,] Ghindy [sic].
Photographer: Wiele and Klein
Medium: Photographic print
View of the Government House at Guindy on the outskirts of Madras in Tamil Nadu, probably taken by Wiele & Klein in the 1890s. The photograph is part of an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
The building was built as a weekend retreat for the Governor of Madras and was first inhabited by Sir Thomas Munro. It was later renovated and expanded in the mid-1800s. A British colonial bungalow in bright white chunam, today it is the Raj Bhawan, the residence of the governor of Tamilnadu.