[View of the interior of the Delhi Gate] (outside) Agra Fort.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph showing the interior of the Delhi Gate at Agra Fort, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views. Built by the Emperor Akbar (ruled 1556-1605) between 1565-79, the great red sandstone fort at Agra dominates a bend in the Yamuna river. It is a strong military edifice which is also embellished with fine architecture. Beautiful pavilions and balconies grace terraces overlooking the river. The fort had a broad and deep moat along the city side of its outer wall, and two drawbridges provided access to its main entrance, the Delhi Gate, on the west, and the Akbar Gate on the south. Its buildings were so arranged that the ones the public were permitted to enter were near the Delhi Gate, and the more private apartments were along the eastern wall along the river.
Agra, known to have had a fort since at least the 11th century, rose to prominence in the early 16th century under the Afghan Lodi dynasty of Delhi. It became the Mughal capital in 1526 when Babar (ruled 1526-30) defeated Ibrahim Lodi (ruled 1517-26). The capital later shifted to Delhi under Shah Jahan (ruled 1628-58), who gave Agra its most famous monument, the Taj Mahal.