[Entrance to the] Small Sar Bahau Temple, [Gwalior]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the small Sasbahu temple at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1882, part of the 'Gladstone Collection. The mighty hill fortress of Gwalior holds some fine examples of Indian temple architecture. In the eighth century the Pratiharas built the Teli-ka-Mandir and their 10th-11th century successors, the Kacchapaghatas, erected the two Vaishnava Sasbahu temples. They stand on a fortified bluff overlooking the town of Gwalior. 'Sas' meaning mother-in-law and 'bahu' meaning daughter-in-law, were the popular epithets for the temples because one was large (the mother-in-law) and the other was small (the daughter-in-law). A long inscription in the porch of the larger temple indicates that they were begun by King Padmapala (1085–93) and completed in 1093 by his son Mahipala (1093–1105). The smaller temple stands on an ornate platform and consists of an open porch with balcony seating and a pyramidal roof. The sanctuary has not been preserved but the doorway, seen in this view, is intact. It is decorated with finely etched foliate decoration.